Related Posts with Thumbnails
Bookmark and Share
Home Design

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Local Inspirations

There are many wonderful local Vancouver artists that inspire me with their unique design in furniture, art, and accessories. Here are 3 of my favorites:

Sid Dickens
Sid Dickens, (a former student from the Emily Carr Institute), is a local artist who is well known for his decorative “Memory Block” plaster tiles. The most well known ones are cream and black, with mideavel looking designs to them (crowns, angels, thorns, etc.), although they come in many different series and styles. They are approximately 6” x 8” in size and are generally sold for around $75 each. They look best hung on the wall in groupings of course, and they even have a cult like status among loyal collectors. I recently saw a rare “retired” tile (what Sid calls the tiles no longer in production) on Ebay for $800! Sid also does prints, and I bought a set of 4 framed ones as my first purchase in my first new home in Calgary 10 years ago. I just wish I could find more to add to my collection!

http://www.siddickens.com/


Martha Sturdy
Almost an icon in the Vancouver design community, Martha Sturdy is known transforming modern materials such as resin and metals into stark, modern pieces of furniture, sculpture, or accessories. The designs are bold and colourful. Truly inspirational.


http://www.marthasturdy.com/


Sabina Hill
I was recently introduced to this local architect and artist who can collaborate with local first nations groups to truly interpret local native “lore” and craft them into contemporary forms that are both beautiful and functional. Use of local materials such as Alder wood and Fir wood mixed with glass and aluminum gives her pieces a unique West Coast feel. I hope to specify some of her product in some upcoming projects.


http://www.sabinahill.com/

Komentar :

ada 0 comment ke “Local Inspirations”

Post a Comment

Furniture Design
 
This Blog is proudly powered by Blogger.com | Template by Angga Leo Putra